•  
  •  
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
barryz New Member New Member Posts:4
--
15/01/2010 8:33 AM
    What is the procedure to add a vertical menu vs the standard horizontal menu on these beautiful-looking skins for DNN 4.9.5? Do you have access to a Menu program that would replace the old DNN vertical menu? I know that someone in the DotNetNuke Announcements forum said they created a new vertical menu... but the person didn't say which version of DNN it worked on and not worked on. I'd hate to build a nice website, then do an update from DNN 4.9.5 to DNN 5.something, only to discover that the menu doesn't work any more.

BarryZ
    kxdhost I'm the boss! Basic Member Basic Member Posts:227
    --
    15/01/2010 5:43 PM
    Ok - most of the skins we have that are the css based ones are done using the links skinobject. I am not sure if you are aware of that.

For commercial menus - we have snapsis - I use the snapsis menu by default in all the skins and can't remember when I used solpart last time, but I was unable to include it in my free skins, since it was a commercial one.

however, not long ago, I made an arrangement with John Mitchell whereby he gave me access to a new menu for the community which has a small link back to his website for the use of it.

I am also looking at some codeplex menus that are third party and supposedly have the fancy pants options that make them better and bigger than the taj mahal.

Anyway- in a nutshell - you can make the existing and still well used solpart menu work for dnn 4 websites, and to make it work you simply modify the css and ascx accordingly and to display vertically.

But don't despair, there are still plenty of good menus to use for dnn 4 and we are still setting up dnn 4 websites.

Now, in reference to updating, I have not seen any real issues with menus and skins not working when upgrading. What sometimes happens is that you need to further modify the skin if you want to take advantage of some of the widgets and options available for dnn 5, that would nto be in dnn 4 skins.

on another note, I did see on dnn 5.2.2, there is a skin called left, in the default folder of skins which is in fact a quite nice default vertical menu that comes out of the box, but there is a catch - it works only on sub pages sitting under the top menu hierarchy.

Even since dnn 2 days, I've never seen a skin that didn't really work.

Are you looking at staying on DNN 4 for a while?

Nina
    Life is too short to be unhappy!
    --
    17/01/2010 4:29 AM
    1. Thank you very much for sharing your very nice skins. 2. Horizontal menus work on small websites, but when you take advantage of the power of DNN and have a private members' area with 26 pages under the Members Area menu... I am finding that the menus are longer than the person's video monitor... and they cannot view the bottom few links - especially on the newer Wide Screen video monitors.

The video monitor manufacturers changed from the rectangular design to the wide screen design because they can fit more onto a manufacturing plate... plus it's with keeping of wide-screen movie formats.

Thus, I am finding that most websites with lots of pages would benefit better by having a skin that includes BOTH a horizontal menu (at top and bottom) AND a vertical menu on the left (or change easily to the right side) -- and just REM-Out the lines of code for the menu that you don't want on that particular website.
    Great idea, huh.

I keep finding myself designing new websites based on your Orange Futurism skin... because the Left Menu works great, and the appearance can be changed greatly with just a few lines of html code. My only problem with Orange Futurism skin is that I have not yet learned how to change the colors of the link buttons.

I spoke to Mitch Sellers, Chris Onyak and others recently (January 2010) who feel that the most stable and complete version of DNN is 4.9.5 - because there are various bugs and omissions in MOST of the DNN 5+ releases (community edition).
    Thus, with all of the security issues of older DNN versions than 4.9.5 and the problems with newer versions, I am using 4.9.5 here - until 5.5 comes out. (grin)

While CSS is said to be nice, good old Orange Futurism and some html knowledge can result in more finite control and be less processor-intensive because html is hard coded - not built on the fly for each page... which means that IIS could handle more simultaneous hits. I think that more "Web Designers" are implementing CSS only because it is more complicated to achieve the same results... thereby ensuring they get more billable hours out of a client. Whether a plumber or an auto mechanic, they all seem to claim some special knowledge to keep me from doing my own mainstream work. Give me html to work on anyday!

So the bottom line here:
    - When you release a skin, please include a txt file that recommends an appropriate Menu, veritcal and horizontal; for DNN4 or DNN5.
    Also please include a link to the .txt file on the skin's page on the dnnskins.com website for those of us who have already downloaded the skin and just need the txt file.

BarryZ
    www.1usa.com
    Reading PA USA
    --
    17/01/2010 10:39 PM
    Thanks for sharing this ..  I'm not 100% sure I fully understand all your requirements and it is your choice to stick to 4.9.5 - if that's what you feel is comfortable, that's fine, but we're not doing any more free dnn skins for dotnetnuke 4 builds. They will only be for dnn 5.

Some of the skins here are older, and probably could be enhanced.  We can quote to make changes to these skins for you if you feel you are not able to do this yourself.

You can also preview the free skins by clicking the demo link that should be on all of them.  That should give you a live preview of the skin where you can decide if it's whatyou need. 

I am not sure what you mean by the .txt file though.

Nina
    --
    18/01/2010 6:53 AM
    Clarification: When you distribute a skin package, please include an instructions.txt file that tells people how to enable or disable either the vertical menu or horizontal menu that is included in the skin.

Please hookup with Mark Allan for menus to include in the skins. You can read post here

Please include both vertical and horizontal menues in the skins... and let the person decide which to disable.
    Disabling a menu should be simple... by rem-ing out the lines in the skin's .ascx file.

BarryZ
    1USA

// edited to shorten url//
    --
    18/01/2010 10:15 AM
    Hi Barry - I can appreciate you request to do this but this is a free site and I spend as much time as I can as possible.  Perhaps if I had some of my 80,000 strong volunteers help, I could do more but the main people who come here don't want to pay for a thing, but we can do all of this for a small cost.. would you like to pay for this to be added to your skins?

I'm not trying to be cheeky here, but we do a fair bit for the community.
    Perhaps I should do a video that explains how you can do it yourself.. that might help.

Nina
    natedigby21 New Member New Member Posts:2
    --
    02/08/2010 4:14 PM
    Hi Nina,

As I read your conversation with Barry, I take it that you cannot do much with regards to his request, unless there's payment for it to be added on the skins.

I was just concerned about this. Barry was right, and I don't want to ask for it for free. So do you have the price list for this so I can go head and look if I can afford to pay for it?

Thanks
    alexsmth114 New Member New Member Posts:7
    --
    01/03/2011 11:00 PM
    Good post, couldn't have asked for more!!..
    You are not authorized to post a reply.