•  
  •  
Sort:
You are not authorized to post a reply.
Author Messages
chicagojsh

--
17/02/2008 9:40 AM

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for providing the world with some free DNN skins.  I'm putting a new one of yours up shortly at DNNReactor.com.  I just downloaded it, so give me a minute before you see it in use :->

I'm on dotnetnuke.com as chicagojsh if you ever see any posts from me.  I like to think of myself as a "nice  guy", joke around alot, which does get me in trouble once ina  while :->.

Anyhow, my site is totally empty right now, and now that I'm comfortable with my DNN skills, I'm stuck with "what to do next". 

I was wondering if it would be ok to put some of your skins up, unmodified(the free ones), and let people download them on my site.  giving you all the credit where do, and I would link to your site also.

I don't know how you would interpret it, so I wanted to check with you first.  I wouldn't change the skins, rather point out works by someone(you).  I like the idea of all this sharing and community with DNN, and feel you are a good example of how to behave.  some of the other skin sites, say "free" this or that, but then after you poke around its impossible to find the freebees.

Anyhow I do appreciate your contributions, and plan to contribute on my own...I made my first module package..well...I packaged part of DNN into a module to make it easier..but I'll get there one day :->

Thanks for your advice...let me know!

Josh

www.dnnreactor.com

kxdhost
    I'm the boss!
    Basic Member
    Basic Member

--
    20/02/2008 8:05 AM

Hi Josh - I appreciate your enthusiasm but at this stage, I would really prefer knowing that the skins are downloaded from here, as this is part of the dnnskins agreement some of these contributors had in place from back in 2003.

What you might like to do is extend your skills to skinning by making some cool modifications that others might like to the default skins that come with the build.

I can't tell you how many hours I've spent managing this site and I would be really disappointed if people came along and thought - wow, Nina's made this really easy for me, I want to do the same.

The reason I don't like to see the non modified skins online, is because most don't work correctly in earlier versions of DNN - it was very hard on newcomers to come in and download these skins, and find they didn't work.

It took about three months to get these skins right to put them online again.  At this stage, no one pays me, no one helps me, no one supports this site except for me now as less and less people seem to offer their work for free, and it's not been through lack of trying, but I don't think people realise just how hard it is to satisfy an open source environment and I've been doing this for close on 5 years now, just dnn work.  It uses about 150gb of traffic, that I have to pay for each month, on my Australian server, but my committment to DNN where I can help to foster this environment for newcomers to come in and try a few things, is very important to me.

So I really do appreciate your enthusiasm, I love seeing newcomers to DNN, but my suggestion is you start like I did, and that is - make your own skins, ask others to contribute to your site.  And I would start by making some nice changes to the default skins, changing the CSS, maybe some colours and offering them up for free download.  Or, making some very cool handly little modules for the community.  That would really be something I'd like to see.

Thanks very much for taking the time to ask and I genuinely hope you don't get offended at my response.

Nina

Life is too short to be unhappy!
    You are not authorized to post a reply.