When we put these free skins online, there are a few considerations before actually deciding to use that particular design.
And for those who may not be aware, these skins are part of the 'free facebook fans' skins we've decided to try for a while.
Each of the free dnn skins we put online are basd around making them as compliant as possible, and that means we don't have the standard menus applied, in fact we use the dotnetnuke 'links' skinobject to allow us quicker formatting and keeping the skins as unique as possible as their original desing from the thousands of free designs that are available online today.
I like css skin - the combination of colours depicting an 'earthy and ecological' look and fee seems to be well covered.
We had to make a decision on this design in how to manage the image that is shown on the front page and decided that it would be part of the design, rather than an editable option.
We chose this way to keep the look and feel of the page to be as consistent as possible, but created an admin skin which has no full montage at all to make management of the site a bit more elegant.
The criteria we use when choosing skins to release are -
- how well the html has been coded for us to work with
- how the images are used in the design in reference to ease of converting to dnn
- how complicated the menu is (most of these designs / free temlpates come with a single level menu which is how we got the idea of using the Links skinobject for the menu system)
- how long they would take us to convert (this is a non profit site and all maintenance is funded by XD Design in part of our committment to provide good skins for the dnn comunity)
- how common the look and feel is compared to what we've got online now
- is there something cool and unusual about the design that might be appealing
- can someone without too much experience take this design and enhance it
- does the licensing meet the guidelines in how we are going to use it
We consider each and every one of these factors when providing free skins on this site, as historically, the skins were uploaded by others for a long time but no one actually updated their work except me (Nina) and we ended up with broken skins, or skins that were uploaded and never really worked in the first place and we decided to have more of a role in ensuring what was available for download had a minimum quality to ensure newcomers to dnn had good quality free skins to start with.
I hope you enjoy this lovely skin - we took a vote on this one - lined it up with another nice design but this was the popular one and so we converted as a nice free dnnskin.